The scientific field of HPC is diverse and complex. However, it is much more than just large and fast computers.
- Modern and innovative computing centres - infrastructures for energy supply, for cooling, for administration and computer rooms as well as intelligent security concepts.
- Specialised hardware technologies - supercomputers, high-speed networks, parallel and powerful file systems as well as systems for long-term archiving.
- Complex and highly parallel software - software for administration, for parallel and efficient simulation and analysis of complex models as well as software solutions for performance analysis and optimisation of parallel applications.
- Administrators and HPC experts - the efficient use of HPC ressources requires specifically trained administrators and HPC experts.
- HPC as science - innovative methods to support different areas of application and applied sciences.